Thursday, May 8, 2008

Salutations

I have been wondering how to start writing my first blog until i found this magnificent piece from Srimad Bhagavatham. It is a hymn spoken by dhruva in the presence of Lord Vishnu who appears before him in recognition of his severe Tapas(penance) and touches dhruva's right cheek with his divine Counch. What then came out of Dhruva's mouth were perennial words of wisdom flowing like the eternal Ganges. The touch of the divine Counch sparked the little boy to speak who, till then was astounded and dumbstruck by the presence of Lord Vishnu before him. The verse inspired me to write this blog.

y'ontaH praviSya mama vAcaM imAm prasuptAM
sanjIvayaty-akhila-Sakti-dharas svadhAmnA
anyAMSca hasta caraNa-SravaNa-tvagAdhIn
prANAn-namo bhagavate purushAya tubhyaM

The meaning for this verse goes like this.
I prostrate before the (Purusha)lord who entered into me as my inner soul and making me speak. I prostrate before the lord who makes my ears hear,my eyes see,my hands work,my feet walk,my senses to feel,my life to vibrate and absence of whom/which will leave me mortal.

The first time i listened to this verse, my hair stood on ends. Hmm... well... really dunno why that happened. :-). The very inspiration made me name my blog with Dhruva's name and write this one.

There have been too many questions i have been asking myself like Who is GOD/Reality. Where is he. Does he (for convenience sake i use Masculine Gender.. Any Feminist reading this dont be up in Arms :-O ) have any form. Why there is a need for any religion. Why there are so many religions. If the purpose of religion is to promote peace, then why there is lot of killings in the name of religion. Small revolt from within. I now know its easier to ask questions than get an answer.

There is one another person in my life who perhaps made me think on these lines. A great thinker and philosopher Jiddu.Krishnamurthi. Even as a school boy i was fascinated by the questions he posed and his way of thinking. Salutations to him,for if he had not been there,I would have never started questioning from within.

Albert Einstein remarked Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."
But over the years as i grew reading his writings among other things, i understood i was caught in perpetual loop of words thinking of his jargons and modes of expressions . Getting more conditioned by his way of thinking. I felt i was going nowhere.

That helped he look at things objectively and as it is. Wanted to understand things more rather than getting caught up with fancy of words. Wanted to experience things. Wanted to shed my arrogance.Arrogance of my assumptions and rejections.

Just want to quote from J.K few quotes which kickstarted the questioning. Even though I never understood(Still the same ;-) ) the meaning of these lines I was quite fascinated by his way of thinking
"Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect"
"The unknown is not measurable by the known. Time cannot measure the timeless, the eternal, that immensity which has no beginning and no end"

Now as I listen to Bhagavatham and and other Hindu Philosophical Text, I understand the core of all the teachings are one and the same trying to inculcate the same truth in different ways they understand (The comparison is a mere intellectual exercise and nothing more than that :-) ) I have been following, even without my knowledge ,quite unconsciously,the teachings of these Ancient saints and seers.!!!

Perhaps that might me the reason why hair stood on ends when i was listening to Dhruvas Pinnacle of Praise on the Ultimate Reality. Perhaps some other reason out of reach of my intellect.

Science, has been, on its part trying to understand the origin of life ,creation ,universe.
Both science and religion are trying to know the same thing but taking their own path towards a common goal. To know the Reality!!!

There are too many questions than answers in my write up. So whatz the big deal in writing these things.

Perhaps trying to consciously Understand and Experience things is the plausible reason i can think of.





No comments:

Post a Comment